News UK

Firearm reported on train to Gatwick Airport – what we know so far

Rail passengers are facing major disruption after an incident involving a man with a firearm on a train.

The incident was reported at 1.23pm on Friday, February 20, on a service travelling from Brighton to Gatwick Airport, prompting a major emergency services response and the temporary closure of all rail lines through the station.

A spokesperson for British Transport Police said officers were called to reports of a firearm on board.

READ MORE:

The spokesperson said: “We received a report at 12.45pm on 20 February of a man on board a train from Brighton with a firearm.

“Sussex Police officers met the train at Gatwick Airport and arrested a man in possession of two imitation firearms.

“BTP officers are investigating.”

The lines have since reopened, but services remain heavily disrupted with delays of up to 45 minutes and some cancellations expected to continue throughout the day.

A Thameslink spokesperson said: “Gatwick Airport station reopened at around 2pm once we were able to get services back on the move on the mainline again.

“Trains will be disrupted until the end of the day, so we’re telling customers to check before they travel, as their usual train might be delayed or cancelled.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button