Sports US

Lawsuit filed against Chiefs’ Rashee Rice alleging abuse

The mother of Rashee Rice’s two children has filed a lawsuit in Dallas County, Texas, alleging physical abuse occurred at their homes in Texas and Lee’s Summit over a two-year period.

Dacoda Jones seeks $1 million in punitive damages from the Kansas City Chiefs receiver. In the lawsuit, she alleges Rice “intentionally, knowingly and recklessly attacked (her) causing bleeding, swelling, bruising and other pain and physical injury to her neck, face, mouth, arms, legs, chest, and shoulder.”

The lawsuit says Rice and Jones lived together in Texas and Missouri, alleging that Rice “repeatedly assaulted Dacoda Jones over the course of their relationship through July 2025.

“(Rice) has grabbed, choked, strangled, pushed, thrown, scratched, hit and head-butted Ms. Jones as well as hit her with inanimate objects,” the suit says. The suit also alleges that Rice also threw objects, destroyed property, punched walls and broke furniture and locked her out of the house in the middle of the night.

“Many of these behaviors occurred while Ms. Jones was pregnant,” the lawsuit states, saying Jones has suffered physical pain, impairment, disfigurement and lost earning capacity as a result.

The Chiefs issued a brief statement Wednesday afternoon, saying, “The club is aware and remains in communication with the National Football League.”

Last month, Jones posted on a social media account that she had “dealt with abuse for years” and posted photos depicting bruising and scratches on her face and body, including a swollen, bloodied lip. Other photos show damage inside a home.

“I’ve protected his image too long and I’m done doing that. It’s time to protect my peace, protect my children and stand up for myself,” the Instagram post concluded.

The Chiefs and NFL said at the time that they were aware of the social media post.

Rice missed the last two games of the Chiefs’ 2025 season, including their final game in Las Vegas, when he sat out with a concussion.

He missed the first six games of the season while serving a suspension for violating the NFL conduct policy for his involvement in a 2024 multi-car crash.

This story was originally published February 18, 2026 at 11:57 AM.

Related Stories from Kansas City Star

Blair Kerkhoff

The Kansas City Star

Blair Kerkhoff has covered sports for The Kansas City Star since 1989. He was elected to the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in 2023.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button