7News cameras capture brawl, chairs thrown inside Navy Yard Chipotle

WASHINGTON (7News) — 7News’ cameras were rolling as an all-out brawl took place inside the Navy Yard Chipotle on Saturday night, with chairs being thrown and used as weapons.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), officers were called around 8:41 p.m. Saturday to the Chipotle in the 1200 block of First Street SE for reports of a large fight inside the restaurant.
Police said officers were already deployed nearby, monitoring a large group, and arrived within one minute of the call. By the time officers got there, MPD said everyone involved had already fled the scene.
Ken Ledet, who lives in the Navy Yard, told 7News he has seen chaotic scenes like this in recent months.
“It’s not shocking anymore, since this has become routine on Saturdays and Friday nights, but it’s disappointing to know this is still happening,” Ledet said. “I actually come to this Chipotle at least three or four times a week, so thankfully I didn’t come here last night.”
READ MORE | US Attorney Pirro going after parents of kids taking part in DC ‘teen takeovers’
Just across the street, in the community’s large field area, 7News’ cameras also captured the moment police officers chased down and arrested someone.
7News’ cameras captured a melee inside the Navy Yard Chipotle, where you can see furniture being thrown. (7News)
Saturday night’s fracas inside the Chipotle took place just one day after U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said she would prosecute parents of juveniles taking part in so-called “teen takeovers.”
“Starting today, my office will aggressively prosecute parents under D.C.’s curfew law,” Pirro said Friday. “It involves contributing to the delinquency of a minor. This statute makes it unlawful for an adult to enable, facilitate, or permit a minor to engage in delinquent acts.”
7News’ cameras also captured police officers chasing and arresting someone in the large field area in the Navy Yard community. (7News)
7News reached out to Pirro’s office to ask if she is prosecuting the parents of any juveniles involved in Saturday night’s melee. We will update this story when we get a response.
In the past, MPD has established juvenile curfew zones in response to and to prevent incidents like what unfolded Saturday. Under D.C. law, there is already a citywide curfew for anyone under 18 from 11 p.m. until 6 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, and 12:01 a.m. until 6 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.
However, under emergency laws and executive orders, the MPD chief has recently had the power to establish juvenile curfew zones in certain areas, starting at 8 p.m., that ban kids from gathering in groups of nine or more for up to three days.
Both the temporary emergency law and the most recent mayoral order expired, meaning MPD could not establish these earlier curfew zones this weekend.
The D.C. Council approved a law creating a permanent curfew, but it will not go into effect until later in the summer.
ALSO SEE | Permanent juvenile curfew passes DC Council
Meanwhile, residents like Ledet told 7News that accountability is needed.
“It’s really puzzling to me because there’s nothing here for adolescents or teenagers. I understand D.C. is taking measures to involve youth in different programs, but I really think people’s parents need to get more involved and understanding where their children are,” Ledet said.
An MPD police report sent to 7News Monday morning states two groups of juveniles got into a verbal altercation inside the restaurant before the situation escalated into a physical fight.
Police said the juveniles ran from Chioptle after learning officers were arriving.
The police report states, “There was no report of injuries or damage.”
The incident is under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 202-727-9099 or text tips to 50411.
7News reached out to Chipotle for comment.
“At Chipotle, the health and safety of our employees and our guests is our highest priority. We have zero tolerance for guests who behave recklessly in our restaurants and put others at risk. No team members or guests were physically injured, and we are actively supporting local law enforcement in their investigation of the incident,” Laurie Schalow, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, said in a statement.




