Charlotte NC track team seeks review after disqualification

Mallard Creek High School sent a letter to the N.C. High School Athletic Association Board of Directors on Monday requesting review of an official’s decision that cost the Mavericks a third straight state championship.
At Saturday’s N.C. 8A state championship in Greensboro, the Mavericks, trailing by two points in the final race, would seal the title with a win in the boys’ 1,600-meter relay.
N.C. State recruit Nyan Brown, the team’s star, was running the final leg.
As he crossed the finish line, well out in front, Brown held up the back of his hand, all five fingers outstretched. Mavericks coach Sam Willoughby said it was to signify three straight outdoor state titles to go with two straight indoor titles the team had won in the 2025 and ‘26 seasons.
Officials disqualified Brown for the act, saying the Mavericks senior had been warned earlier for celebrating in an earlier race.
Mallard Creek’s Nyan Brown was DQ’d for making this gesture at the end of Saturday’s NCHSAA 8A state track meet. It cost his team a third straight state title Courtesy NC Mile Split
Willoughby said Brown had not.
“I was not told, and he was not told,” Willoughby told The Observer on Monday afternoon. “That became a ‘he-say, she-say’ thing. At the end, (the official) claimed she gave Nyan a warning. I kept asking her, ‘Are you sure? Are you sure you had the right kid?’ He said, ‘Coach, she never said anything to me.’”
Top 5 time, big celebration
Earlier in the day, Brown ran the fifth-fastest time in the United States this year in winning the 300-meter hurdles. The N.C. State recruit celebrated in front of a group of cameraman, his back to the other runners, and then hugged teammates and shook hands with at least one competitor.
Mallard Creek’s Nyan Brown congratulates a competitor after winning the 300-meter hurdles state title Saturday in Greensboro, North Carolina. Courtesy NC MileSplit
Meet officials say they gave Brown a warning for violation of a taunting rule, which seeks to prohibit “any action or gesture intended to embarrass, ridicule or demean others.”
By this national rule, athletes are not permitted to celebrate, hold up their hands in victory or clench fists while crossing the finish line or completing a trial. Additionally, the rule says a runner must complete the activity before any celebration begins.
Brown’s 300-meter hurdles celebration was well after he finished the race. The second one was not.
The Observer reviewed hundreds of images shot by NC MileSplit at the state finals and found dozens of athletes celebrating by raising one hand or two hands. Some pointed to the wrists. One held up three fingers to celebrate winning three state titles. Several others held their arms outstretched while looking directly at the group of camera people sitting behind the finish line that Brown did.
Willoughby felt his team and his runner had been singled out.
“I thought that was just some targeting, maybe they didn’t want us to win for some reason,” Willoughby said. “I don’t know what the reason was. When she threw the flag up as soon as he crossed the line, I knew it was on us. I was like, ‘How can this happen.’”
Officials meet, coach fears the worst
After the DQ flag went up, Willoughby said he ran over the official, who told him she was writing Brown up, but said it didn’t mean an automatic DQ. But as a larger group of officials began to discuss the situation and the stadium went quiet — “It was dead silence,” Willoughby said — the Mallard Creek coach began to fear the worst.
“In the back of my mind, I’m like, ‘The officials are going to stick together,” he said. “They don’t want to prove each other wrong. I was hopeful, but I knew deep inside.”
Mallard Creek track coach Samuel Willoughby with standout Nyan Brown Monday, May 11, 2026 at the school. TRACY KIMBALL [email protected]
The official ruling came after about 10 minutes. The DQ stood. Mallard Creek finished second in the team totals.
No 3-peat.
Videos of Brown’s finish, and the controversy it stirred up, got millions of views online as national sports figures and news sites shared them and wrote posts and articles.
A post from former NFL quarterback Robert Griffin III, for example, generated more than 2.5 million views.
A High School was ROBBED of a State Championship. The Mallard Creek boys track and field team was disqualified for taunting because (Nyan) Brown raised his hand before crossing the line to win the 4x400m relay. THIS ISN’T TAUNTING OR UNSPORSTMANLIKE.
On Sunday, NCHSAA commissioner Que Tucker issued a statement.
“Judgment decisions made by meet officials are done with the full knowledge of (the National Federation of High Schools) Track & Field Rules as well as rules and expectations of the NCHSAA relative to unsporting behavior and actions,” Tucker said. “We recognize there is deep disappointment experienced by the student-athletes, coaches, and the school community involved.”
Willoughby said Brown was in disbelief after the ruling and after the meet.
“He said, ‘How can this happen?’” Willoughby said. “He said, ‘I’ve done nothing too egregious.’ He’s very mature for his age, so no tears, no cussing and no anger. He was just like, ‘Oh man. What happened.’”
An opportunity for a larger conversation
Sunday night, Brown — who was named an NCHSAA sportsmanship winner during the 2025 indoor state championship — put out a statement on Instagram.
He said, in part, “I would never intentionally taunt another athlete. While I am disappointed in the final decision, I believe this moment creates an opportunity for a larger conversation within track and field about allowing young athletes to celebrate major accomplishments. Celebration is part of sports, especially at championship events…. I will continue learning from this experience, and I hope conversations like this help create clearer expectations for how young athletes can express joy in meaningful moments.”
Mallard Creek High School track standout Nyan Brown holds a championship trophy at the school on Monday, May 11, 2026. TRACY KIMBALL [email protected]
NCHSAA spokesperson Brandon Moree told The Observer that the association received the email from Mallard Creek. Moree added that, per its handbook, the association considers the ruling of an official to be a final decision.
To file an appeal, Mallard Creek would make a formal request to the NCHSAA, which would begin and oversee the process. Ultimately, if the case moves forward, the N.C. Superintendent of Public Instruction would create an independent board to review the case.
“I don’t know if any change will happen,” Willoughby said, “but we at least want to have a voice.”
Coach, are you OK?
Monday at school, Willoughby said many of athletes stopped by his classroom to check on him.
“They’re like, ‘Are you OK coach?’” Willoughby said. “I’m like, ‘Nobody died. It just sports, man, you know?’ They’re looking out for me and my well-being like I was wronged. But they’re such a family, man.”
Four years ago, Mallard Creek lost a conference tournament championship because of one of its best sprinters received a DQ for getting involved in an altercation with some rival competitors in the stands.
That runner was dismissed from the team, which hurt the Maverick’s 100-meter, 200-meter, and 400-meter relay teams. At the state meet, a few weeks later, the Mavericks didn’t have a top 15 finisher in either sprint race and finished fourth in the 400-meter relay.
A team that was trending towards being a state title favorite finished 16th in the team totals.
The next season, Mallard Creek finished runner-up in the state finals. In the 2024 and ‘25 seasons, the Mavericks won the title.
From left, Josiah Vaden, Mason Kelley, Nyan Brown and Roderick Orr run on the track at Mallard Creek High School in Charlotte on Monday, May 11, 2026. TRACY KIMBALL [email protected]
Willoughby sees no reason why his team won’t have a similar bounce-back next year — no matter what happens with an appeal.
“I’m just in disbelief about what happened, but I’m not angry,” Willoughby said. “Our boys know what they did. They know they’re the champs. Having a trophy doesn’t validate our greatness. And as for next year, (winning state) is the plan. As long as I keep the same coaching staff, we’ve always got a shot.”
This story was originally published May 18, 2026 at 4:52 PM.
Related Stories from Charlotte Observer
Langston Wertz Jr.
The Charlotte Observer
Langston Wertz Jr. is an award-winning sports journalist who has worked at the Observer since 1988. He’s covered everything from Final Fours and NFL to video games and Britney Spears. Wertz — a West Charlotte High and UNC grad — is the rare person who can answer “Charlotte,” when you ask, “What city are you from.”
Support my work with a digital subscription




