Snowbirds to be grounded following 2026 season until new aircraft arrive

Listen to this article
Estimated 2 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
Canada’s iconic Snowbirds demonstration squadron will be grounded following the 2026 flying season until new aircraft arrive, the country’s defence minister said Tuesday.
In a statement, David McGuinty did not say how long it will take to replace the outdated CT-114 Tutor jets, which have been part of the air force inventory since the 1960s.
The turbo-prop Swiss-made CT-157 Siskin II has been chosen as the replacement for the Snowbird squadron. The aircraft is already on order and being delivered for use in the air force’s initial pilot training aircraft.
The intention is to tack on extra aircraft to the existing order, which means it could be the early 2030s before the Snowbirds are reformed and back performing at air shows.
The announcement is being made Tuesday alongside Lt.-Gen. Jamie Speiser-Blanchet, Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force, at 15 Wing Moose Jaw, Sask.
McGuinty said, during the downtime, the air force will continue to support air shows across the country, but it will likely have to draw from operational fleets.
Two years ago, former defence minister Bill Blair ordered a review of military ships, aircraft and other items that have become difficult and costly to maintain — including the Snowbird squadron.
At the time, he said the six-decade-old CT-114 Tutor jets had been in service too long.
The jets — which were given a life extension to 2021 and a more recent additional upgrade — needed to be replaced, Blair said.
More to come.




