News CA

Drug-addicted man with knife was ‘oblivious’ during robbery: lawyer

‘Ask your probation officer for help because we don’t want you back here,’ Ontario court justice tells man

A would-be thief who threatened a security guard with a knife at a Churchill Plaza business pleaded guilty to robbery last week.

Kyle Onraet admitted he attempted to steal from the Dollarama in November 2024 while armed with a weapon when he appeared in a local courtroom on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old also was convicted of five counts of missing court dates, and single charges of breaching probation by failing to keep the peace and not showing up for fingerprints.

Ontario Court Justice John Condon heard the accused was at the Dollarama store on Nov. 22.

He took several items, hiding some in his coat and others in a bag, prosecutor Adrianna Mucciarelli said.

A security officer followed Onraet through the store and when he attempted to stop him, Onraet warned “you don’t want to stop me” and walked out of the store.

He was on a two-year probation order imposed on March 6, 2024.

Onraet met with his probation officer on Aug. 8, 2024, prosecutor Adrianna Mucciarelli said, but failed to report on the following scheduled date.

The Crown and defence lawyer Ken Walker jointly recommended an eight-month jail term, less credit for his pre-sentence custody, followed by 24 months probation.

Onraet has a criminal record that includes a number of convictions for theft and disobeying court orders, they told Condon.

Dollarama is “an establishment that is highly victimized and he’s contributed to that,” Mucciarelli said, adding he also brandished a knife against the security guard.

Walker said his client’s record began in 2024 and is connected to his drug addiction.

“During the robbery he was under the influence and was oblivious to what was going on in the outside world.”

Onraet told the judge he’s tried to stay on methadone.

“I’ve been trying to get clean for many, many years,” he said, adding he’s been looking into programs locally “so I can get on with my life” but found there was no room available.

With the credit he received for his pre-sentence custody, Onraet faces a further 190 days behind bars.

He also will be on probation for two years once he does his time.

Condon indicated he was placing him on probation because he didn’t bother to show up to his appointments in the past.

“You’ve been drifting,” the judge told Onraet. “If you want to better yourself, ask your probation officer for help because we don’t want you back here.”

During his probation, he can’t communicate with the victim and must stay away from Churchill Plaza.

“You can take your business elsewhere.”

As well, he can’t possess any weapons, must attend a program for substance abuse, and must participate in any recommended counselling and assessments.

Condon also imposed a 10-year weapons prohibition and ordered him to provide a DNA sample for the national registry.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button