News UK

Iran steps up claim to control Strait of Hormuz

“US forces subsequently released the vessel after conducting a search and directing the crew to alter course,” according to maritime risk management company Vanguard.

Celestial Sea has previously been sanctioned under a previous name by the US for its links with Iran.

Tracking data from MarineTraffic shows the ship is now reporting its destination as the port of Duqm in Oman.

Centcom said on Thursday it had redirected 94 commercial ships and disabled four vessels since the US blockade of Iranian ports came into effect on 13 April.

Donald Trump said on Monday he was holding off a military attack on Iran planned for the following day at the request of Gulf states because “serious negotiations are now taking place”.

In a post on Truth Social, the US president said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Pakistan’s military chief is reported to be visiting Tehran on Thursday in an attempt to mediate peace efforts between Iran and the US.

Iranian state media reported Asim Munir will be continuing talks with senior Iranian officials.

The Iranian foreign ministry said it was reviewing the latest proposals from the US on ending the war.

Trump suggested he could wait a few days for Tehran to agree to the new deal but was also willing to resume attacks on the country.

“Believe me, if we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go,” the president said.

Additional reporting by Alex Murray

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button