Business US

Trump tells Fortune he should have asked for bigger Intel stake

May 18 (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump said he “should have asked for more” of a stake in ‌Intel on behalf of the U.S. government, in an ‌interview with Fortune magazine published on Monday.

The Trump administration last year took ​a 10% stake in Intel and announced an investment of about $10 billion in the chipmaker for building or expanding factories in the U.S.

Eight months after the deal, the government’s Intel position ‌has grown to ⁠be worth more than $50 billion.

“Do I get credit for it? Does anybody even know I did ⁠that?” Trump told Fortune.

When he was asked what the government’s exit strategy could be, the Fortune report said Trump believed he ​could ​sell shares slowly over time ​without causing the stock to ‌plummet.

Trump said: “Intel should be the biggest company in the world right now.” Referring to TSMC ‘s chip dominance, he said: “Intel would have all that business now,” had he been the president earlier.

“If I had been president when all these companies ‌started sending their chips in from ​China, I would have put a ​tariff on that would ​have protected Intel,” he said.

Fortune said Trump ‌gave the interview before his first ​visit to ​Beijing since 2017. The visit ended on Friday with no major breakthroughs on trade or tangible help from Beijing ​to end the ‌more than two-month-old U.S.-Israeli war on Iran.

(Reporting by ​Ananya Palyekar and Akanksha Khushi in Bengaluru; Editing by ​Alex Richardson and Barbara Lewis)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button