Bodies of Italian divers did not have optimal equipment, says rescuer

A Maldivian rescue diver died last weekend while searching for the bodies of the group.
It is believed to be the worst single diving accident in the tiny Indian Ocean nation, a popular tourist destination because of its string of coral islands.
The four bodies found earlier this week are expected to be repatriated to Italy on Saturday and post mortem examinations will take place in the coming days.
Paakkarinen told La Repubblica newspaper that when the team found the bodies they realised the cause could have been a “tragic human error” but ultimately it would be for investigators to determine what happened.
He also questioned why the divers were inside the cave “without the proper equipment” as he said himself and his fellow rescuers would never have ventured into such an environment without a scuba diving reel or guide rope for safety which he described as “Ariadne’s thread”.
The diving reel is used to guide divers through complicated or hazardous terrain underwater.




