News CA

Golden Knights lose appeal of punishment for media violation

NEW YORK — The Vegas Golden Knights’ appeal to have their punishment reduced for breaking media access rules was denied by the NHL and they will lose a second-round pick in the draft this year.

The league on Friday docked Vegas the second-rounder and fined coach John Tortorella $100,000 for what it called flagrant violations of media regulations. Tortorella refused to speak to reporters, and the team did not open its locker room following its second-round series-clinching Game 6 victory at Anaheim on Thursday night.

Announcing the sanctions, the NHL said the Golden Knights had been warned previously about not following media and other policies. They were offered the chance to appeal in person to Commissioner Gary Bettman this week, and that ultimately was unsuccessful in getting the pick back or the fine reduced or rescinded.

“We missed a great opportunity that night to connect with our fans and share with them a victory in a playoff series,” general manager Kelly McCrimmon said. “I’ve always felt in a playoff series, when you win a series, you galvanize with the bond with your fan base. We missed that opportunity by not having John available to do post-game. That’s on John for failing to do that. That’s on me as the general manager of the hockey club.”

After confirming he was in New York earlier Wednesday to appeal, McCrimmon absolved members of the team’s communications staff for their role in the situation.

“We have no explanation other than to say we were wrong and to assure you that it will not happen again,” McCrimmon said “The league spoke on the matter. We have spoken on the matter, and neither John nor I will be taking any questions on this.”

The loss of a second-round pick is the strictest punishment for breaking media access rules in league history. Vegas opens the Western Conference Final on Wednesday night against the Colorado Avalanche (Sportsnet, Sportsnet+, 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT).

Asked Saturday about the punishment, Tortorella told reporters in Las Vegas, “We put out a statement as an organization, and so we’ll go back that. We have no more comment on that.” That statement said only that the team was aware of the announcement and would have no further comment.

Tortorella took over as coach on an interim basis when Bruce Cassidy was fired on March 29. The Golden Knights went 7-0-1 in their final eight regular-season games, then beat the Utah Mammoth and the Ducks to make it to the West final for a fourth time in their nine-year existence.

Now 67, Tortorella coached the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Stanley Cup in 2004. He has been fined $262,000 for various transgressions over his time in the NHL.

— with files from Sportsnet Staff

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button